Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December and the Re-evaluation....



For many years December as an unrepresented artist (I am still unrepresented) meant turning out as many things as I possibly could to sell so that I could make as much money as possible to hold me over through the "lean months" (i.e. January/February).  Many times, I would be sitting, laughing with my husband and children but (literally) still making things on Christmas Eve for people to pick up on Christmas morning.  I vividly remember 2 years that I ruined my own Christmas experience with that pressure.  So as I drift quietly through this month, as I have for several years now, if you happen to notice my lack of productivity, you will now understand why.  For me, December is a time of reflection, of evaluating my path as an artist, of planning my next move on this giant chess board of life.

Thanksgiving brings about the gratefulness of family and friends, but December (without the pressure of making things for the holiday season) allows me to focus for a time on where my path will take me next year. I have many things on the horizon that I hope you will all enjoy along with me, but I will hold those things close to my heart and hopefully let them burst forth in the new year.

I am simply beyond grateful to this amazing year 2014.  I have so many friends, both old and new and so much support from family, as well.  I have this new studio that I truly feel unworthy of but as happy as a fat cat with it!  I thank God every day for trusting me with this opportunity for growth.  I hope I can continue to strive toward "something" (it changes every day for me!  LOL).

I just wanted to share this train of thought and encourage everyone to "Make Good Art" (as Neil Gaiman said...if you aren't familiar, here it is, it will change your life whether you are an artist or not.  I listen to it every time I need to refocus and think), laugh, relax, love people, and simply enjoy your life.  We only get one trip through this life, take the time to enjoy it.

I thank you all SO much for your support this past year.  I love you all so much, both the people I have gotten to know in person and the people whom I know very well via this amazing internet that allows people from all ends of the earth to connect!  Thank you all for reading this and for encouraging me and supporting me.  I might post it again before the end of the year in case some miss it.  See you in 2015!

11 comments:

Dee Spillane said...

Have a Merry Christmas. I enjoy your posts, art and stories. Just read the graveyard dog post. I am all teary because my girl is nearing that phase and my friends pup passed today. So I appreciate the tribute you wrote. Much love, Dee

Micki Wilde said...

Yes!!
December for me now too is about winding down, not getting wound up!! So many Decembers before have been spent fretting and stressing, working till the last second. Not anymore!!
Enjoy your December Sunny I hope 2015 brings you all kinds of awesome things
Hugs
Micki x

Sunny Carvalho said...

Dee, I'm glad you connected with the Graveyard Dog post. We still miss him and think of him often. We also have an old girl who is reaching the geriatric part of her life. We also have a crazy pup that we adopted during a spring break trip to the beach. He is a feist (a Southern Terrier mix) and quite a lot of work! LOL

Micki, I am so glad to hear that you take this time to enjoy yourself without stressing out, too! It is wonderful to come to that realization that your whole career doesn't hinge on one season!

Krissi T said...

What a wonderful post Sunny girl !! I will miss seeing your inspiring artwork but I am so very pround of you for realizing what's most important in this earthly life !! My prayers, love,respect are with you sweetie !! You are thought of each day as I walk into the living room of my little Hope Cottage! I smile at the paintings on my wall and thank God for you and they true gift He has given to you !! Merry Christmas and a very blessed New Year !! Hugs...Kristy

Nolwenn said...

December, to me, is such a weird month. Like it actually holds two sides of a very important coin.
Hopes, dreams, projections... and fear, sadness, stress.
love you <3

Leanne E said...

Thanks so much for sharing both your thoughts and your art with us! Hugs

Sunny Carvalho said...

Kristy, I am so thrilled that you are still enjoying your paintings! You won't be missing anything during this month. I'm still working, just at a slightly slower pace.

Nolween, I don't experience the sadness at all. I'm always excited for the new year. It's just the stress of trying to produce too many things for people to purchase for loved ones for Christmas! LOL I used to feel like I HAD to have everything anyone wanted during that time. It's been such a relief to just relax, take time to think and adjust my focus during the holiday season. I think this is only my 3rd year to have this attitude. Love you, too!!!!

Leanne, thank you so much for your support and encouragement all year long!

Tammie Lee said...

hello Sunny!
lovely to see you post and to hear that you are well and enjoying your December with your family. Looking forward to what you share with us next year.

Sunny Carvalho said...

Hi, Tammie!!! So nice to "see" you again! I really should do a better job of keeping my blog updated! Thanks for stopping by!

Nancy Mutdosch said...

I agree with everything Denise Spillane just said a few days ago - still have tears in my eyes. Love your work - still proudly display my "Serious Days". Merry Christmas and hugs to you and your family.
Nancy

angiesuez said...

Please take care of yourself first!! I so luv your art.... May 2015 bring you much happiness!